To provide an opportunity and a pathway through which every child can excel and leave successful, qualified and confident.
- Excellence: We strive for excellence in everything we do.
- Respect: We act in a manner that demonstrates respect and engenders trust.
- Teamwork: All members of the school and wider community work in collaboration with each other to effect the best possible student outcomes.
At Monterey, we aspire to be a place:
- Where students achieve to their full potential, enjoy, feel safe and identify with their school
- Where staff are supported professionally in an excellent working environment which encourages a lifelong passion for creativity, innovation, and learning
- Where society benefits through the contributions of the Monterey Secondary College community
At Monterey, we believe that the quality of teaching and the quality of our teachers has a significant influence on student learning and recognise that positive relationships between teachers and students are a necessary foundation for learning. Our teachers are a part of a professional learning community: they have a rich, contemporary understanding of the curriculum, of current teaching methods and practice and their own individual needs and capabilities.
- Occurs in a mutually supportive and safe learning environment
- Delivers a challenging and engaging curriculum
- Elicits a positive response to the opportunities provided and expects all learners to strive for achievement and personal success
- Incorporates strategies designed to meet the needs of individuals and groups of students at recognised development stages
- Focuses on learning skills that help students develop the habits and behaviours of independent, creative and critical thinkers
- Is innovative and informed by research
- Is communicated professionally
- Is demonstrated in a variety of authentic ways
- Embraces a range of relevant technologies
- Encourages reflective thinking and independence